Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Plum Nuts Racing Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Plumnuts View Post
    Janet was on her new pink camo sled at Spokane and was a fan favorite... Janet got third for her efforts getting edged out in the semis of sled/bike (I was a second round loser)... lots of folks taking pictures of her sled in the pits... air was stale and her best run was only 10.2 seconds at 125 MPH (wish those new parts would get here!!!) In her loss the sled got loose at about the 330 and she was quick and caught it by blipping the throttle but did not make her dial in and lost by a few feet at the big end. Of interest the sled/bike count was high enough she should have received a check.. but was told by management they "changed the payout"...

The B nitro cars were cool.. the alky cars numbers were down and many made one run and did not leave the pits again... there were no gas dragsters there to speak of (I think maybe 3-4) and Super Pro class had (guessing) like 20 cars.

The car count was so low that they quickly set up a gambler race for 1st and 2nd round losers... they needed this race to have "something" running down the track for what looked like a low number of spectators. I was a first round loser in the gambler race being late at the light

We heard a lot of complaints of "no cars" from spectators.. The tack prep was okay, the race was okay, but the number of sportsman cars was shocking)... the poor management of the track showed up with the lack of support of the race track. sad.

WOW! That's nice of them.
    91 Mustang Coupe
    347ci - 11.5:1, AFM Hi-Rev TFS heads, Mondo Box, 90mm TB, AFM Power pipe,Comp Cam, 47lb injectors, Kooks 1 3/4 long tubes, Kooks 3" x-pipe, 3" magnaflow's, AEM, Pump gas

Quote Originally Posted by Plumnuts View Post
    ...The car count was so low that they quickly set up a gambler race for 1st and 2nd round losers...
    Dang it! I wish I would have known they were going to do that, as I would have stayed and played. I loaded up shortly after redlighting first round. I guess I was suffering from premature clutchulation.... I need to get more seat time again to remember how to consistently cut a decent light. I had a .001 in third round of time trials, but cut a -.026 in first round of eliminations.
    Jeff Rogers
    badbugracing.com

Mike, You have to keep in mind also that there was a divisional race in Seattle the same weekend as the Night of Fire, wer saw a few of our friends from WWDS and some from Renegade Im sure there was quite a turn out of Spokane locals too. I dont think it was all just that the locals diddnt come out to support SCR but just poor scheduling.
    Dave

Default New Sled Wrap

Sneek peek of Janet's sled... yea that is me behind her.. we named the sleds... her's "Twisted sister" and mine "Strange Brew"

Default ET Finals and Winning it All!!

Well here is the story...

One of the best things about going to the Division Finals is meeting new people or getting to know friends even better… that were true again this year. If you have never gone to a Division Final with the Walla Walla Team you are missing a great and very fun experience.

The Pacific Raceway Park is a pretty place and (other than my last run, more on that later) we thought traction was pretty good. However getting back to the pits and cool down our hot rod snowmobiles was a challenge. Janet’s “Twisted Sister” sled I built and has extra cooling capacity where mine essentially has what is in the engine. To manage this we would put into the aluminum engine block iced water and leaving the hood up, minimizing the engine running… I could get back to our pits with the engine at 190 degrees (200-210 is maximum).

We bought into the Thursday time trials and both sleds ran in the high nines but Janet’s sled continued to have launch issues so we backed it off a bit to run low tens.

The Friday Gambler race… wow seems like it was a while ago, I believe we both went out in the second round. Since Pacific Raceway is located in the middle of pinko liberal Obama land... i.e. King County (ok I am done with the political rant) seems people built homes within earshot of the raceway and got pissed off at the sound of engine noise… well the county government passed some ordinance that punishes the park if they make ANY noise outside of the allowed race times… I heard back at the national race they ran 30 minutes over the allowed time and sanctions began this past Saturday and it was illegal for them to operate after 5PM… I guess common sense does not apply... you know build next to a cow farm you are going to get crap smells and flies… build next to a raceway and you are going to get NOISE! So the gambler race ended without finding out who was the champion and the $17K was split between who was still in.

The Pacific Raceway crew can run a race. They can run a bunch of door cars, diggers, bikes, junior dragsters, and sleds through pretty quickly. You had two on the starting line, two in the box, and four waiting… starting line goes everyone moves up. The only thing that slowed down the pace was the oil downs, people crossing the center line and taking out the lights or a pretty bad wreck. Air wise our TAG never showed the adjusted air more that 1700-1800 feet. Something we learned on Sunday was that the adjusted air at the starting line was different from our pits, or even the top end of the track… Janet advanced in first round of the race of champions with a holeshot win… the other guy had a 0.021 light… not enough when Janet laid a 0.000 light on him… the first perfect light by anyone in competition for the weekend and only two perfect lights for the whole weekend!

Come Sunday Walla Walla racers in the late stages of the ET Final races were Bryan Watts and John (drives a super cool SP Vega racing for the Walla Walla team… he lives over there)… nice guy (and family) just cannot remember their last name. Anyway Bryan and John racked up points for the team until finally getting eliminated (Bryan one race out of the final). This left the race of champions and I was the last WW racer still in.

When I was in the final six (yea two races from winning it all) I drew a seven second motorcycle (past division champ) but I had his number. He sandbagged 2-3 hundreds on each race and then would fender hump on the top end. I GOT THIS GUY AND HE WAS GOING DOWN! I have no butterflies as my sled during the mid-day is running 9.98-.99 every run and going super straight down the groove. I felt if I got the tower lane I would trailer this guy. Well both of us wanted the tower lane and I won the coin toss and put him into the spectator lane. I am thinking… cut a decent light, don’t lift and I will either win by beating him to the finish or more likely he will break out. I got this race WON! I dial a 9.98

So I go through the usual routine pull through the water box and shut the engine off on the sled… and wait for the bike guy to go through all of the starting stuff they do… okay I make eye contact with the guy and we both start our burnouts. As usual I set the brake, mash the throttle down and ran the engine up to 5000 RPM, release the button and the sled’s track lit up as usual and then chirped the track… as usual. Two feet from the stage beams I shut off the engine (remember I have this long trip home and engine over heat is an issue) and clear the Digatron for the run. The starter tells us to move forward and I see the seven second driver is easing forward so I start the sled and slowly push into the 1st light and after that the seven second guy does the same. Everything is as planned and I am going to the next round.

In between the stage lights I start thinking. Hmmm there are six of us left; next round there will be three meaning one of us will get a bye to the final… based on reaction time. Now all day I have been in the 0.020 to 0.040 as long as I am in the tower lane… My usual is push into the second beam just enough to turn the light on (as shallow as possible), sit forward to limit a wheelie and leave as soon as I see the third light…. But I am thinking about the next race and getting to the final and going to the World Championships in Pomona. I got this guy so I push in another inch or two, sit forward, barely set the brake, hold the button and mash the throttle. My sled responds as normal and is popping away just under engagement of the clutch at 5000 RPM; I can hear the driver in the other lane has his bike on the limiter waiting for his pro tree light unlike me waiting for the sportsman light. I am super focused on the third light…I am going to the finals!!!!!

Here comes the light, I am saying to myself (as I have EVERYTIME) wait for the third yellow (I also have the “nanan nan na” you know the Muppets…tune going on in my head… again per usual).

First yellow, second yellow, third yellow, release the button and BANG the RED LIGHT COMES ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was going to run the sled through but the sled lit up the track, made a dive for the center line, got sideways, and I lifted, straightened up the sled and ran through the traps at 14 something with the win light in the other lane (I said #^($@%!!! 20 times before crossing the finish line) . DANG IT I HATE IT WHEN I START THINKING! Well there is next year… but main message… if you get the chance, go to a division race with the WW team… it is a lot of fun (except when you start thinking)
    Last edited by Plumnuts; 09-03-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Great report, Mike. Sounds like you had 'em where you wanted 'em. Remember when I warned you that nothing good happens when a conservative starts thinking?

John

Spokane 9/15/12 We went to Spokane usual poor air and iffy traction... both sleds ran 10.2 at 130 MPH... we were also both first round losers, Janet's primary clutch broke dropping her run to a 10.4 run... Mike's sled went up in smoke and got western at the drop of the button... looking forward to being back at WW this coming weekend!!

Default New Plum Nuts Member

Meet Plum Nuts newest member, "Izzy" ("Ford Shelby" lost out)... she is a sheltie (mini Lassie)

Sadie puts up with her

You should have gone with "Ford Sheltie"

I like that too... "Zippy" also lost out (as in Mike "Zippy" Neff)